Have you visited a website having an extremely long domain name? As an unbiased person do you prefer typing those long cumbersome urls in the address bar of your web browser?
Suppose you are planning to start a small business and your business requires you to have an online entity. The first thing that you have to do in this case is finding the right name for your website. Finding the right website name is absolutely imperative for the success of your business online because if your client finds it to cumbersome to visit your website due to any given reason then he/ she might prefer to stay away which in turn would be disastrous for your online enterprise.
Without a proper name no individual in this world has an identity and the same applies to your business to. Without a proper name your business will be passed off as an amateur one which is just looking to make a quick buck and is more interested in cost cutting. In addition to all this when you start giving your business cards to your clients would it look nice to have a shoddy name printed at the bottom? For example when you want to shop online the instant name that comes to mind is ebay and this is because you have visited the site before and the name is easy to remember and spell and it is not complicated so you will visit it again. A few simple guidelines to follow in general are that your name should be easy to spell and it should be as short as possible. The most important thing is that your domain name should be easy to remember.
Some of the many different ways in which you can generate website name ideas are:
1. Random name generators: in this method the automated software will just generate random names. You can specify a suffix or a prefix if required and you can also specify the length of the name that you wish to obtain. The random name generator will create random names that can be pronounced in different languages and not any arbitrary name.
2. Substitutions: By taking normal names from the English dictionary and replacing few characters from it, you can generate a new name altogether.
3. Mix and append: Take two names at a time and append them together to get a new name. For example: fantastic + fabulous = fantabulous; or gigantic + enormous = ginormous; or fun + frolic = folic.
4. Adding extra characters: Using a name which is part of the English vocabulary you can add an extra letter somewhere in the entire word to create a new word/ name that might be used as a name for your website.
5. Playing with Proper nouns: Proper nouns have a specific spelling mentioned in the vocabulary. You can twist and turn them around to create a new name altogether. For example instead of using the word “cool” you can use “kool” which sounds the same.
6. Naming contests: Another innovative website name idea is by holding naming contests online. You can suggest a few guidelines to mention what you are looking for and then hold a contest in which users around the world can register for free and submit their entries. In this method you will find a wide range of names as people from wide genres of society will participate and give you their ideas. Of course there will be a prize money or something that has to be given barring which people will not take interest in the contest.
Finding a potential name for your website is the cornerstone for the success of your enterprise and it is a more time consuming process than you actually think.